Tuesday, September 16, 2008

SHORT FEATURE: PINK FLOYD – SET THE CONTROLS FOR THE HEART OF THE SUN

I hope everyone will indulge me just a bit while I take a break from the humor for this one post. I know that the music of Pink Floyd, especially the early stuff, is not to everyone’s taste, but the group has been, and always will be, my favorite rock act. So I’m a little melancholy over the passing of keyboardist Richard Wright, who succumbed to cancer on Monday.

We can discuss the hows and whys at a more appropriate time, but for now it’s sufficient to say we Catholics pray for our departed. Here’s one of the common ones.

God our Father,
Your power brings us to birth,
Your providence guides our lives,
and by Your command we return to dust.

Lord, those who die still live in Your presence,
their lives change but do not end.
I pray in hope for my family,
relatives and friends,
and for all the dead known to You alone.

In company with Christ,
Who died and now lives,
may they rejoice in Your kingdom,
where all our tears are wiped away.
Unite us together again in one family,
to sing Your praise forever and ever.

Amen.

Godspeed, Rick, I don’t know what your personal beliefs were, but no matter what, I like to have hope that you’ll squeeze by on the mercy of God. (Hey, it’s the only way I’m gonna make it through the door.) Maybe I just like the idea of jamming with the Floyd when the time comes for all that singing and praising. Great Gig In The Sky indeed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

RIP.

I always liked Meddle.

Leopold Stotch said...

Kudos to you for this PF Youtube link and the fact that you have the Trilogy of Terror doll as a logo (didn't sleep a wink during my entire childhood because of him).

btw i posted some great covers of 'Set The Controls' over at my blog if you're interested:

http://versionsgalore.blogspot.com/2008/09/which-ones-pink.html

EegahInc said...

Thanks for the link, leopold, I'll be abusing your bandwith soon :) I'm actually a pretty regular listener of the Coverville podcast, but for some reason, had never thought to check for cover blogs.